Translate

If you're looking for a post about Cait Riley, click here
>

Friday 10 October 2008

How I'm hoping to avoid a personal credit crunch

I started worrying about my bank. The place I get cash for immediate necessities like beer and dancing. Suppose they went down? No problem! The government compensation scheme will sort it out! Then I wondered just how quickly it would operate - If the bank crashed on Wednesday, would they make it so I still have cash to drink on Thursday and go dancing on Saturday?

I don't think so.

What finally got me moving was seeing a small queue outside a local bank. Maybe it was because the door had got stuck but it was enough.

So I dusted off some dormant accounts and checked their parentage with Wikipedia. Fortunately, some of them come from completely different banking groups. So I've transferred a lump of cash into them.

Then I looked up my main credit card. Fortunately, it comes from yet another group.

Paranoid? Just think about how far an Icelandic credit card goes today.

Link

Wikipedia UK Bank index

No comments: