Translate

If you're looking for a post about Cait Riley, click here
>

Wednesday 13 August 2008

Wot I did on my hols

The English seaside in summer. The rain. The packed café. No one would come over and take our order. I noticed that the menu listed the establishment's phone number and floated the idea of phoning in our order? "S" liked the idea so much he had his mobile out in a flash and was dialling. I smiled. Corrupting youth is such fun.

One day, "R" announced that she proposed to eat soup and then go and look after a car park on the top of a nearby hill. (See link below for why)  She even had a tin opener dangerously near a can of soup! Quickly, I pointed out that I had a Sorrel plant by my tent, some potatoes and other ingredients for Sorrel Soup. Of course, it took a little longer to prepare and I had to walk up the hill with a saucepan and cups but friends don't let friends drop their standards.

Another day, another tea shop. This time, the café at the Connaught Gardens in Sidmouth. Their approach to cakes is simply megalithic. This is the lemon ginger cheesecake. Pot of tea shown to give scale.

The camp site liked to keep up with the times. They had an "ASBO" tent which was used for anti-social behaviour like playing music at 3am. I do think the guy with the tenor Sax was taking it a bit far though. Some fiddle players gave up and deployed their soprano saxes in retaliation. I would have called in the UN but no one knew the number.

Oh, I did a lot of dancing too. Perhaps the highlight was in one of the dance venues, the "Anchor Gardens" (actually a pub car park) where I was determined the rain wouldn't stop me. I grabbed a partner, shoved an umbrella in the pointy end of a ballroom hold and we polka'd around the "floor" to great applause.

Links
You too can look after a needy car park!
Sidmouth Festival
UN
Worlds best tea shop
The Anchor, Sidmouth

No comments: